Historical Towns and Cities in South Texas
- Carricitos (Cameron County)
- This community evolved from the original ranching village
on the Concepcion de
Carricitos land grant.
- Highland (Cameron County)
- La Paloma (Cameron County)
- Formerly known as San Ysidoro. In the mid 1800's
it was a steam boat landing for a freight line operated
by Mifflin Kenedy and Richard King ( King Ranch). It was
named after the many doves which can be found in the
area. In 1912 it also became on the Spider Web Rail Road
between Highland and Carricitos.
- Rangerville (Cameron County)
- Ranching community located south of Harlingen which
became a railroad stop on the San Benito and
Rio Grande Valley Rail Road. 106-156
- San Benito (Cameron County)
- Was also know as "Bessie", "Sam
Robertson's Town", and "The Resaca City".
This town was founded by Col. Sam Robertson, who was also
responsible for the construction of various Rail Roads
and irrigation projects across the lower Rio Grande
Valley. Large tracts of land were purchased from owners
of the Powers Estate to
use the San Benito Canal and the town of San Benito.
Founded in 1904. Town was named in honor of Benjamin
Hicks, an early Railroad Engineer and land owner in the
- Arkansas City (Starr County)
- A supply point and cotton ginning center in the 1930's.
It slowly disappeared as farming activities diminished.
Located in the northeastern part of the county, south of San Isidro.
- Carnestolendas (Starr
- Although this was not an official town, it signified the
earliest known Spanish settlement in Starr county. This
mission was established in 1751 by Jose de Escandon and
was located just north of present-day Camargo, Mexico.
- Casas Blancas (Starr County)
- A rural community whose name means "White
- Delmita (Starr County)
- Formerly known as Zaragoza. It's Name was changed in
1931. An early settler, Niceforo G. Peņa named the town
by combining the initials of his seven sons.
- El Centro (Starr County)
- Located between Delmita and San Isidro, it flourished
during the 1930's. It was founded by Trinidad M. Valverde
at a well known highway intersection and established a
grocery store and gas station, as well as install
electricity and telephone service.
- El Sauz (Starr County)
- Serves as a supply center for area ranches. Located
northwest of Rio Grande City.
- Escobares (Starr County)
- Located adjacent to Roma. It was named for local land
owners, the Escobares Family.
- Everettsville (Starr
- Falcon Heights (Starr County)
- This village is located near the headquarters of the
Falcon Dam State Park. It was established in 1949.
- Garceņo (Starr County)
- Located about half way between Rio Grande City and Roma.
It was named for an early settler and can trace it's
beginnings back to 1753.
- Garciasville (Starr
- Established in 1839 by Mier and Camargo Mexico settlers,
Ramon Garcia and family. Formerly known as "Los
Garcias de Abajo"
- Kelsey (Starr County)
- Named after John Peter Kelsey, an early Starr county
settler who arrived in 1849. Also known as Kelsey Bass
Camp and located in the northeastern part of the county.
It was established by the Humble Oil Company for it's
employees. It was abandoned by the early 1960's.
- La Casita (Starr County)
- This small community is located just to the east of Rio
Grande City, and northwest of Garciasville.
- La Gloria (Starr County)
- Located in the northeast part of the county about 5 miles
west of San Isidro, this small community also serves as a
supply center for area ranches.
- La Grulla (Starr County)
- This community whose name means "The Crane",
was named after the large birds that migrate through the
area. At one time it occupied both sides of the Rio
- Las Escobas (Starr County)
- This ghost town is located about 5 miles north of El Sauz
and was the center for the ranch by the same name. It was
founded by settlers from Mier, Mexico and was named after
the broom grass that grew in the area.
- Los Saenz (Starr County)
- This town was founded prior to 1767 and is part of the
Roma-Los Saenz as it is often called. It is named after
the Saenz family, grantees of land in this area.
- Midway (Starr County)
- Olmos (Starr County)
- A station on the Rio Grande City railroad.
"Olmos" means elm tree.
- Rio Grande City (Starr
- The county seat and largest city in the county. It was
incorporated in 1850. It was formerly known as Davis'
Landing and was named after Henry Clay Davis, an early
settler who married in the wealthy de la Garza Family and
aquired land through his wife. In 1848 he sold land that
was used for the Fort Ringgold barracks, as well as town
lots. The earlier ranching settlement at this location
was Carnestolendas which was founded in 1767 by Francisco
de la Garza Martinez
- Robberson (Starr County)
- Located north of Rio Grande City on Hwy. 755
- Roma (Starr County)
- This site saw activity as early as 1751, when a mission
was built for the Oblates of Mary Immaculate
Missionaries. It was previously known as Garcia Ranch. It
is unclear as to how it got it's name. There are two
general theories; one that it was named after Rome, the
city of Italy, another that is was named after a Major
Roman, a Mexican war hero. It may also have had something
to do with it's Mexican counter-part, Miguel Aleman
located just across the border, and also known as San
Miguel de Roma.
- Rosita (Starr County)
- Another farming community located between Rio Grande City
- Salineņo (Starr County)
- Located in the southwest part of the county. Apparently
named after a family named "Salinas". Dates
back to at least the mid 1800's.
- San Isidro (Starr County)
- This town is situated in the northwest portion of the
Santa Cruz Grant and the northwest part of the county.
This area of the grant was marked with a stone naming it
"El Lindero de San Isidro".
- Santa Catarina (Starr
- Santa Cruz (Starr County)
- A station on the Rio Grande Railroad.
- Santa Elena (Starr County)
- Located north of Rio Grande City on Hwy. 755 in the
northern part of the county.
- Viboras (Starr County)
- Located on Hwy. 649 north of El Sauz. Named for the large
quantity of "Snakes" in the area.
- Villarreales (Starr
- A farming community located west of Rio Grande City on
- Zaragoza (Starr County)
- See Delmita
- Dolores (Zapata County)
- Hacienda de Dolores was founded by Jose Vazquez
Borrego 22 Aug 1750 and was authorized by Jose de
Escandon. Jose Vazquez-Borrego had already settled the
land with twelve families on a provisional grant given to
him by Escandon earlier in the year. Dolores was
meant to be a stopping-off point between Nuevo Leon,
Coahuila and the Fort of Espiritu Santo Bay on the Nueces
River and other Texas Missions. Vazquez-Borrego was a
friend of Escandon and had already established the Hacienda
del Alamo on other lands granted to him about
twenty-five leagues northeast of Saltillo. Two other
haciendas were established on the Dolores grant,
"Corralitos" and "Hacienda San
Ygnacio". Corralitos was assigned to Jose Fernando
Vidaurri a grandson of Jose Vazquez and "San
Ygnacio" was assigned to his son Jose Fernando
Borrego. "Dolores" and "San Ygnacio"
were abandoned around 1818 due to Comanche Indian raids
and the colonists moved to "Corralitos" for
better protection. It was again resettled by 1830 with
new buildings being erected to until at least 1860. 77-127.136
- Lopeņo (Zapata County)
- Located on Porcion 21 in Zapata County which was
originally granted to the widow Isabel Maria Sanchez.
Sometime early in the nineteenth century it passed to the
Ramirez Family which owned porciones 14 thru 17 and
established Ramireņo. The first stone house was
contstructed here in 1821 by Benito Ramirez. 77-7 Apparently it was named after a
family named "Lopez". This rural community also
has it's "new" counterpart as it was submerged
when Falcon Lake was formed.
- Old Falcon (Zapata County)
- Formerly Known as Ramireņo. Jose Tomas Ramirez
who was a relative of the original grantee of Porcion 15
in Zapata County Clemente Ramirez. Jose received
porciones 14 thru 17 sometime around 1780. In that same
year he married Rita De-La-Garza-Falcon and moved to the
northern side of the river. He built a stone house (which
still stands) and called his new settlement Ramireņo
by which it was known until 1915 when the name was
changed to Falcon in honor of the wife of the original
settler. 77-6,7 "Old
Falcon" was submerged when the Falcon lake was
formed in 1952.
Last Updated: August 30, 2002
This is a work in progress.
Please Email any suggestions, feedback etc to firstname.lastname@example.org.