As the name suggests wood plastic composite (WPC) is a material crafted from a unique blend of natural wood and plastic fibres. Wood plastic composite is a panel or lumber product which in turn is made from recycled plastic and small particles of wood or fibres. Wood plastic composites in general also contain other materials such as sawdust, pulp, bamboo, peanut hulls, unused woodworking materials like bark, all of which at times is covered in plastic powder. Wood plastic composites are relatively very new in the market when put to comparison against the long history of natural lumber or traditional wood composites such as particleboard or fiberboard.
Wood plastic composites are widely used now globally, especially in the USA. During their manufacturing process, they mix wood particles as fine as flour and bits of recycled plastics. Such has been the flourishing business with regards to wood plastic composite that, North American WPC market alone has reached almost $1 billion in sales. This also has been a notable increase which shall boost further by the next five to six years as per estimation. As the capacity for WPC increases, new products are also being developed at a very impressive rate such as door stiles, rails and window lineal. Though there are many advantages of using WPC, some of the most commendable ones are as listed below:
- The enormous advantage of WPC is its environmentally friendly strategy. This is so because the waste wood and recycled plastic materials are used in its making. Also, it is more acceptable as wood composite plastics have a low maintenance cost as compared to solid natural wood. This cuts off a huge chunk of the unwanted flow of cash as the need for the repeated maintenance is tarnished. One of the biggest reasons which are responsible for the fast growth of WPC is its low-life cycle cost. That has allowed many people to get their hands on something magnificent at pretty cost affordable prices.
- In general, the global market has been gushing about the possibilities that the leading WPC product manufacturers are providing via their wood plastic composite items. Also, many financial advantages can be attained through WPC. For instance, the WPC deck has a production cost of about 15% more when it is compared to that of pressure-treated lumber. But when it’s put in comparison to the same it requires a lower maintenance cost making it all worth the hype.
- The actual payback period is estimated to stand in between 3 to 5 years compared to pressure-treated decking material. The wood-plastic composites also possess excellent dimensional stability along with less variability which stands as another major factor that most people prefer WPC products.
- The most remaining aspect of wood plastic composites is they are made up of completely recyclable products which are mostly collected from C&D operations, wood product manufacturing properties and so on. What’s better about wood plastic composites that the wood plastic composites can be recycled over and over again to form new products.
- There’s a large interest concerning Wood-plastic composites worldwide. This has facilitated proper research with regards to wood plastic composites in many countries that aim at concentrating on the durability and extended service life of WPC fueled by the large demands made to enhance its capabilities for extended use.
- WPC was originally marketed as being naturally decay-resistant against fungi or insect attack. Though this claim was debunked, there’s no doubt to the fact that the wood-plastic composites have proved to decay at a much slower pace than the solid wood.
- The wood plastic composites are very interesting to work with. Flexibility is one of their underrated advantages. The wood plastic composites are created from a substance that generally begins with a paste. This gives them the power to be shaped and moulded as per convenience. Moreover, they are more flexible and resistant than natural wood making them pretty favourable under all conditions.
- The versatile nature of the wood plastic composites set them apart. They can either be added to polyethylene or polypropylene which in turn helps them to be used for a variety of construction purposes. Also at times, it’s seen that the wood plastic composites help other objects while construction gets a better hold. Also, the wood-plastic composites are less likely to split or break under construction purpose stress which is a common problem when compared to normal wood.
- Defying the overall elements: the wood-plastic composites are unique and they are equipped to face all changes and handle the weather with almost no changes. They are pretty sustainable.
- The WPCs have a longer life span. The material is highly durable and is barely affected by rainfall, wind or hot summer conditions. Using WPC is immensely recommended as environment-friendly. A long life span also means that it would be an ideal choice for outdoor fencings.